By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Pickup catches fire by Walmart
Pickup fire
This pickup driven by Joseph Stotts caught fire Thursday on North Chancery Street.

A North Chancery Street vehicle fire is being blamed on a gas leak.

“I jumped out just as flames shot out from everywhere,” said Joseph Stotts, owner of the 1985 Chevrolet Silverado. “I was lucky to get out without injury.”

While the Warren County commissioner escaped burn injuries as flames came into the truck’s cab through its vents, passersby stopped to assist and witnesses described flames shooting out from under the hood of the truck and scorching the roadway.

McMinnville Fire Department responded.

“It had a small gas leak,” said Stotts as he watched firefighters work. “I was taking it in to be checked. It didn’t make it. I assume it’s a total loss.”

A gas leak is among the most common cause of vehicle fires, due to the highly flammable nature of gasoline.

The incident occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m. on Thursday as Stotts was in front of Walmart. All lanes were closed and traffic diverted as emergency responders extinguished the flames.