By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Main Street Live may move to Park in case of rain
Joe HarveyBEST.jpg
The Joe Harvey Band performs this Friday at Main Street Live. Harvey, the new manager of Park Theater, plans to provide a classic performance. - photo by Lisa Hobbs

The Main Street Live summer concert series will be moved to Park Theater, if rain prevents it from being held on the West Lawn of Security Federal.  

“The final decision will be made by noon Friday,” said Main Street McMinnville board president Raven Young. “The Park Theater is just a backup in case of rain, but we will wait until Friday morning to make the final call because the chance of rain fluctuates so much.” 

McMinnville’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen considered the venue change Tuesday night, as well as a request to waive the rental cost due to Main Street McMinnville being a nonprofit and concerts are offered free to the public. 

“There is a fairly significant chance of rain,” said Mayor Ryle Chastain. “This would move Mr. Joe Harvey’s concert to Park Theater, if need be.”

Weather-related cancellations are nothing new for Main Street Live. During most seasons, one or two concerts are typically canceled due to rain.

Main Street McMinnville executive director Jennifer Flatt Meredith says discussions were held with former Park Theater manager Kevin Roberts about using Park Theater as an alternate venue in situations like this. However, waiving the fee is a board decision.

“We are requesting a waiver because this is a free event for the community and because there is a large chance of rain,” Meredith said. “We had two days that we had talked to Kevin about possibly having the Park Theater as a backup. We would really like to do that and if you could waive the fee that would be great.”

Chastain stated, “Main Street McMinnville is a nonprofit organization. This is something we’ve done in the past at the rec center and Park Theater for nonprofits. I will entertain a motion to allow a fee waiver, if they need it in case of rain.”

Board members gave 6-0 approval to waive Park Theater’s fee if the concert needs to be moved. Absent from the meeting was Alderman Rachel Kirby. 

Concert vendors will be moved closer to Park Theater, possibly blocking off the parking spots in front of theater for their use if the location is changed. The current forecast at press time Thursday calls for a chance of rain on Friday night.