By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Family loses home
House fire BEST.jpg
The remnants of a zero-turn lawnmower can be seen among the ashes of the Orr home as Centertown volunteer firefighters soak the smoldering remains Wednesday morning. - photo by James Clark

A local family was left homeless Wednesday morning when a raging fire reduced their house to ashes. All that remains are two brick chimneys standing at each end.


Danny Orr, his son, and his two granddaughters were displaced by the blaze, according to Centertown Fire Chief Phillip Prater.


“All they have left is the clothes on their back,” said Prater.


Danny Orr was the only one home at the time of the fire around 10 a.m. He escaped injury. The home was fully engulfed by the time Centertown Fire Department arrived on the scene.


“I could see the smoke coming from Newtown,” said Prater. “The fire originated from the chimney, best I can tell. It had already spread through the attic when he noticed it. By that time the house was gone.”


The home was the only house on Orr Road, a dead-end road about a quarter mile long. It’s located off Pettigap Road, not far from Crisp Springs Market. It was an older, wooden house that relied on the chimneys as a heat source.


The two girls who lived there are 12-year-old twins who attend Centertown School. 


The family has obtained shelter through a local hotel for the week and is looking for a place to stay. Anyone who would like to make a donation to the family can do so at the FSNB bank branch inside Walmart under the Orr family fund.