By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Emergency responders work to save pets
fireBEST.jpg
Emergency responders worked diligently to resuscitate a dog suffering from smoke inhalation. Pictured, from left, are McMinnville Fire Department Capt. Martin White, Warren County AEMT Alan Farrar and firefighter Scotty Mize. - photo by Lisa Hobbs

McMinnville Fire Department responded to a structure fire Tuesday and found the only occupants to be four-legged.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to Partridge Meadows Apartments on Oriole Drive at approximately 11:15 a.m. The caller reported a possible structure fire in apartment building E. 

“My guys were able to put the fire out quickly,” said McMinnville Fire Chief Kendall Mayfield. “It was a couch on fire. No one was at home at the time. I could be that someone just forgot their cigarette when they left and it fell down into the cushions. We don’t know.”

A search of the residence turned up the family’s dog and cat. The two were rescued from the home by firefighters and into the awaiting arms of Warren County emergency medical technicians. While the cat responded almost immediately, the dog – a Dachshund – did not.

Warren County EMS advanced EMT Alan Farrar, assisted by firefighter Scotty Mize and Fire Department Capt. Martin White, worked to revive the dog using oxygen and chest compressions. After several minutes, the dog’s legs began to move and a yelp was heard. 

The dog was wrapped in a blanket and taken by its owner to a vet to be checked out.