By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Crowd welcomes Totherow after hospital stay
Colin Homecoming 4.jpg

The community came together Monday afternoon to welcome home Colin Totherow, the Warren County Middle School student who was seriously injured in a four-wheeler accident last week. 

The streets were lined with dozens of friends and family members eager to welcome Colin home from the hospital. He was welcomed with multiple homemade signs, Taylor Swift music, gifts and lots of hugs. He was very grateful for the support of the community during this difficult time. 

“It is incredible that I live in a town where so many people support me. Even people in other towns have come by to support me. I am so grateful,” said Colin when he arrived home. 

“To see the look on Colin’s face, was priceless,” said his mother Brooke Totherow. “I cannot thank everyone enough who came out to support him and those who couldn’t make it, but were just as supportive in other ways. Warren County, and even surrounding counties, is a great place to live.”

Last Thursday, Colin was in a four-wheeler accident and suffered a brain bleed. He was transported to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital where he went into surgery. The surgeon thought it would be a three-hour procedure, but it only took an hour and a half. 

The surgeon explained to his parents that he would be on a breathing tube for at least a week, or even up to a month, but Colin only needed it for four hours. There was also a concern that Colin may not be able to talk again or have use of his left side, but he recovered better than imagined. The surgeon was very impressed with his progress and said on a scale of one to 10 he was a 15. Following surgery, his mother said he even asked if he would have to miss his last day of school. 

On Sunday, Colin continued progressing and had the drain removed from the center of his brain. Throughout the day, more lines and machines continued to be removed. By the end of the day, his last head drain was removed. He then began doing physical therapy and they had him walking the halls. 

“They wanted him to climb two steps and he did 10. Their only critique they had for him was to slow down,” said Brooke in an update she shared. 

He was later moved out of the ICU to a regular room where he received the good news he would be able to come home on Monday. His friends and family members quickly organized a welcome home celebration complete with a police escort. 

Colin is still on the road to recovery, but he without a doubt has an abundance of support behind him on his journey. The family credits God for the swift recovery and is thankful for all the prayers for Colin. 

“Prayer is what has gotten us through this. We definitely give God all the glory,” said Brooke.