By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Young gets 30 days for murder threat
Placeholder Image

A man will serve 30 days in jail for threatening to kill his pregnant girlfriend and then leading lawmen on a high-speed chase.
The defendant, Thomas Cole Young, 29, entered guilty pleas before Circuit Court Judge Bart Stanley to charges of domestic assault, aggravated criminal trespassing and evading arrest. He was directed to serve one month of a two-year sentence. He will also be required to get an alcohol and drug assessment as well as a mental evaluation and must enter the batterer intervention program. His jail time will be served in addition to a separate one-year sentence he is serving.
His jail time comes after police were dispatched to Lyndon Street where he was assaulting his pregnant girlfriend. The woman told police he had grabbed her arm, pulled her hair and threw her to the ground.
“He then choked her and told her that he was going to kill her and the baby that she was 5 months pregnant with,” reported McMinnville officer Brad Hall. “She also had two small children at the residence at the time of the assault.”
Police spotted Young getting into a silver SUV just as they arrived. Officer Hall shouted for the suspect to stop but his words went unheeded as Young jumped into the vehicle and sped away. Officers gave chase down Morrison Street and finally got him to pull over on Karate Lane near the high school.
“He got out of the vehicle and stated he wasn’t going back to jail,” recalled patrolman Chris Hutchins who had joined the chase. “He advised that he had a pocket knife in his pocket and that he would cut whoever tried to arrest him.”
He then tried to walk away from the officers and pulled the knife in a threatening manner when he was ordered to stop again. He was taken into custody moments later without getting to use the knife on police. Aggravated assault charges leveled by the victim and officers were dismissed as part of the plea bargain. He could have faced up to six years in prison on each of the felony assault counts.