Sain Construction Company is requesting a 21-day extension on McMinnville Civic Center project completion.
“Back in December, we basically shut down out there and the job was held up,” said Mike Brewer, project manager for Sain Construction. “A lot of that was change orders being held up and not getting approved. We went back and looked at all that and I think 21 days is being fair to everyone.”
The request to extend the completion deadline by 21 days was made before members of the Civic Center Ad Hoc Committee, a special committee assigned by the McMinnville Board of Mayor and Aldermen to review any change orders or issues associated with the project. The meeting was a video conference.
When Sain suggests a change and submits a cost estimate associated with that alteration, that request must be approved by both the Civic Center Ad Hoc Committee and HFR Design. If the change exceeds $10,000, Board of Mayor and Aldermen approve is also required.
“When we approved a lot of these directives, HFR would hold it for 30 days before getting it back out,” said Mayor Ben Newman. “HFR reviews it and tells us if they agree on the pricing that was submitted for the change.”
Officials also considered several change orders during the video meeting that HFR Design reviewed and approved. After business was conducted, Brewer requested the extension and pointed to that list as why it should be approved.
“On this that we’ve gone through today, y’all approved in an ad hoc committee meeting in January and we are just now getting this back,” said Brewer. “It was approved in January and we’ve been waiting since then on HFR to give you their review on it.”
The committee considered the following from HFR:
• Change order No. 1: HFR recommends the pricing for the floor demolition and re-pour in the shower rooms. Committee approved $2,004 with payment to Sain out of the project’s contingency fund.
• Change order No. 6: HFR recommends the pricing for the infill of the existing walls where the heater units were. Committee approved $4,793 with payment to Sain out of the project’s contingency fund.
• Change order No. 24: HFR recommends the revised pricing to lower the curb at the exterior stair on the north end of the east addition. Committee approved $2,659 with payment to Sain out of the project’s contingency fund.
• Change order No. 33: HFR recommends the pricing for the additional insulation at the geothermal piping. Committee approved $515 with payment to come from the city of McMinnville.
• Change order No. 35: HFR recommends the pricing for the two additional fire-rated louvers in the indoor tennis court. Committee approved $4,948 with payment to Sain out of the project’s contingency fund.
• Change order No. 36: HFR recommends the pricing for the infill of the existing fascia. Committee approved $5,270 with payment to Sain out of the project’s contingency fund.
Civic Center Ad Hoc Committee members requested a balance on the project’s contingency fund, minus the $19,674 approved on April 9, but made no decision on the request to extend the project’s deadline by 21 days.