If you have yet to visit one of the first houses constructed in McMinnville, June 17 is a day to tour The Black House.
Constructed in 1825 by Jesse Coffee, it is on the corner of West Main and High streets. The Black House was deeded to the Eagle Club in 1984, with executive director Jeanette Lowery supervising its restoration and maintenance since that time. The Black House derives its name from previous owner Dr. Thomas Black.
On June 17, a yard sale, bake sale, craft sale and nursery stock sale will be held on the grounds, sponsored by various businesses and the current Black House board of directors. Visitors will also have the opportunity to tour the historic home and enjoy musical entertainment.
• Addie Lee Fults with coconut cakes, etc.
• North Hills Church of God of Prophecy with bakes goods
• Clara B. Wells with peanut brittle
• Joyce King with Knitt Angels
• Theresa Rowland with honey and crafts
• Regenia Turner with Tupperware
• Michelle and Jim Bob Stubblefield with Hold Wild Pork Rinds
• The Eagle Fund with yard sale items.
There will also be a fish fry by Marvin Lusk and Francis Nunley and drinks courtesy of Dr Pepper.
In the gazebo, located behind the residence, musical performances will be offered by Marty Waldron and David Moore.
Lowery invites everyone to stop by from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. to visit the many vendors and enjoy the historic home and grounds.
“We have had many functions here over the years as a way to raise funds to maintain the property,” said Lowery. “This is our third year to offer this yard sale, bake sale, craft sale and nursery stock sale.”
Tours of the historic house will be offered from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is $5 for ages 6 and over.
Information can be obtained by calling 668-5050 or 273-3847.