Magness Library is going mad with science during this year’s summer reading program from June 10 through July 24 for children and teenagers.
“This year’s summer reading program has a science theme,” said Magness Library director Brad Walker. “We are offering two summer reading programs this year. We always have one for children. Now, we are offering one for teens. It’s going to be really fun for them. Teenagers really need to attend this.”
The teen program is called “Spark A Reaction” and is open to all middle school and high school students. Registration begins this Monday, June 9, at the reference desk in the library. The children’s program is called “Fizz, Boom, Read” and registration is not required.
Spark A Reaction programs will be held on Tuesdays at 1 p.m.:
• June 10 — Bruce Atnip will be offering teens a presentation on making videos. Each teen will be asked to make a video for a competition with those videos to be posted on the library’s website.
• June 17 — Dr. Amy Phelps from MTSU will be offering a presentation on science and the fun behind it.
• June 24 — McMinnville Police Department detective Todd Rowland will have a presentation on the investigation process of crime scenes. Afterwards, teens will be asked to investigate a staged crime scene.
• July 8 — Phillip Holland will be teaching about songwriting. Holland has enjoyed success in the songwriting business.
• July 15 — Teens will be asked to dress up as their favorite character for a dress up and tell.
• July 22 — There will be a Mad Scientist Party to end the summer reading program for teens.
Fizz, Boom, Read programs will be offered on Thursdays at 10 a.m.:
• June 12 — Joyce Carroll will be returning with her puppets. She is always a big hit with the children.
• June 19 — Bruce Watson, who offers special theme presentations, will entertain the crowd but his theme will be revealed that day.
• June 26 — Will there be snow in June? Maybe not, but Channel 4’s Snowbird will be here. He will be at the library entertaining children.
• July 10 — Bruce Amato, a magician, will be appearing and making things disappear.
• July 17 — Mr. Rich Super Science, also called The Science Guy, will be amusing the children with the fun of science.
• July 24 — A musical celebration will end the summer reading program.
This year’s summer reading programs are free and sponsored by the library, Hot Wheels Skate Center, McMinnville Civic Center, Goody’s, JC Penney, Dairy Queen, Middle Tennessee Natural Gas, and Brewer Amusement.
For more information call 473-2428 or visit www.magnesslibrary.org or www.facebook.com/ magnesslibrary.