By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lady Broncos return to the diamond
Boyd revives softball team, wins first game
Lady Bronco softball player Stephanie Mullins awaits a pitch against the Webb School on Thursday night. The Lady Broncos won the game 3-2, their first game in eight years.

The Boyd Lady Bronco softball team, led by coaches David Reed and Jennifer Moore, hasn’t had a team in almost eight years.
The Lady Broncos returned to action Thursday night after the long layoff when they hosted the Webb School at Cat Walker Field. Boyd came out triumphant in its first game back on the diamond, winning 3-2 after the game was called in the fourth inning due to rain.
The Lady Broncos only had one hit in the game, thanks to a Stephanie Mullins RBI single, and took advantage of some Webb errors and walks, which tallied up to be six. Lady Bronco pitcher Erin Hollis picked up the win, her first of the season.
Concerning her team this year coach Moore said, “Most of our girls started out with very little softball experience and have worked tirelessly to get this team off the ground. We are extremely proud of their hard work and efforts.”
Coach Reed added, “The girls are showing incredible potential and are hungry to execute what they’ve learned so far on the field.”
After Webb couldn’t get anything going in the top of the first, Boyd took the early advantage in the bottom of the inning. Mullins laced a single to right field scoring Konner Duke to give the Lady Broncos the 1-0 advantage going into the second.
Webb scored two runs in the top of the second, due to errors by the Lady Bronco infield, to take the lead away from the Lady Broncos 2-1 going into the bottom of the inning.
Lady Bronco Ashley Vandagriff scored on a fielder’s choice in the bottom of the inning to tie the game 2-2 and regain momentum. Webb did nothing in the third, and Boyd added to its lead. After a Webb error scored Erin Cantrell, the Lady Broncos led 3-2 going into the fourth. Webb went ice cold in the fourth, and the rain wouldn’t allow Boyd to bat again as the Lady Broncos won their first game in eight years, 3-2.
The Lady Broncos' next game is to be determined at a later date.