By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Suspects caught after one-hour manhunt
They abandoned their vehicle in Newtown
Law enforcement officers walk down Bridge Builders Road on Wednesday afternoon searching for suspects from a high-speed chase. Their white Ford Edge can be seen in the background.

Three suspects were taken into custody Wednesday just after 1 p.m. in the Newtown area after they abandoned their vehicle and fled on foot. The manhunt lasted about an hour.

The vehicle was found on Bridge Builders Road in the Newtown area. Officers with high-powered rifles were following a specially trained K-9 led by McMinnville detective Eddie Colwell in trying to pick up the scent of the suspects.

The dog led officers to the TDOT maintenance shed which is located between Bridge Builders Road and Nashville Highway.

The suspects, driving a white Ford Edge with Florida tags, barreled into Warren County on Wednesday morning on Highway 55 coming from Manchester. Officers from Coffee County were in pursuit.

The high-speed chase exceeded speeds of 100 mph, according to traffic over the police scanner. Officers blocked intersections before the speeding vehicle arrived to prevent an innocent motorist from pulling into the path of the suspects. The chase zoomed past Warren County High School where officers had hoped to deploy spike strips.

The suspects then traveled on the wrong side of Highway 55, heading inbound in the outbound lanes. In Newtown, they went the wrong way up the on-ramp used to access Highway 55 and turned left onto Nashville Highway.

Officers discontinued the chase in the interest of public safety and lost sight of the vehicle. It was initially assumed the Ford Edge was heading outbound to Centertown, but it was located on Bridge Builders Road, a tiny secondary road that’s one lane in parts.

McMinnville Police Department’s K-9 unit was called to help track the suspects and the Newtown area was heavily saturated with law enforcement officers. Two males and one female were reportedly taken into custody.