By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support local journalism.
Gun scare unfounded, sheriff says
Placeholder Image

Rumors that a Warren County Middle School student was planning to bring a gun to school Friday proved to be just rumors, although it did spark a notification from the school to parents assuring them the issue had been addressed.

“There was nothing to it,” said Sheriff Jackie Matheny of the rumor that swept through WCMS on Thursday and Friday.

The sheriff said once law enforcement was notified of the potential gun threat, officers were dispatched to the boy’s home where he was questioned Thursday night. The boy reportedly told another student he was going to bring a gun to school and shoot him.

“He denied saying it and there’s no evidence to prove he did,” Matheny said, noting the home where the boy lives was checked. “He had no access to a firearm.”

Matheny noted similar rumors have swept through the school system in recent years, many coming on the heels of actual school shootings like the one in Marshall County, Ky., on Tuesday that left two students dead, several injured, and a community to mourn.

“We get rumors about things like this all the time and thank God they haven’t been true,” said Matheny, who stressed the public should always report potential threats to authorities.

In a post on the internet, WCMS principal Gerald Tidwell assured parents the matter was checked out to ensure there was no threat to students.

“Please rest assured that the matter has been properly handled and your child is safe at WCMS,” Tidwell said.