By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lawmakers quibble over who is real hero
Placeholder Image
NASHVILLE (AP) — Two lawmakers are disputing which of them helped save the life of a seizure victim at a Nashville hotel recently.State Rep. Joanne Favors told the Knoxville News Sentinel she was "stunned" to learn Rep. Tony Shipley had been honored for "heroic actions" in helping the man.The Chattanooga Democrat and nurse said she had a bystander call 911 while she helped turn the man on his side and checked to see there was no obstruction in his mouth.Favors said Shipley came up later and "stood around."The Kingsport Republican said Favors' account was "not correct."The Air Force veteran with paramedic training said he administered a "jaw thrust" to assure the man's throat was clear.The resolution honoring Shipley passed 98-0 with Favors voting for it.• • • • •MURFREESBORO (AP) — In the past 10 years, the state has gone from covering 55 percent of Tennessee's public college and university budgets, to just 30 percent. The other 70 percent is covered by the students.The state's HOPE scholarship for high achievers used to cover about 60 percent of university tuition. It's 45 percent now.All that means students are taking out bigger and bigger loans.It's a situation that Richard Vedder, who heads the Center for College Affordability and Productivity in Washington, says is unsustainable, according to The Tennessean.State officials are trying to find solutions.

Log In To Read

Subscribe to access more great content!