By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Komen race raises over $85K to fight breast cancer
Placeholder Image

The 2014 Susan G. Komen Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure was held last Sunday on the campus of Tennessee Tech. Over 1,350 individuals participated in the sixth annual event, which raised over $85,000.
The event included a one-mile fun run and walk, a chip-timed 5K, special activities for survivors and children, vendors with giveaways, and live musical entertainment from the main stage and along the race route.
The Upper Cumberland affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure works year-round to promote screening, treatment, education and survivor support programs in the 14 counties of the Upper Cumberland. Their signature fundraiser, Race for the Cure, provides an opportunity for the community to rally in support of their service and finding a cure for breast cancer.
Warren County resident and Komen Upper Cumberland board member Ashley Gillentine Wright has served on the race committee for the past five years, this year acting as event chairt.
“The reason I support this organization is that 75 percent of every dollar raised by our affiliate stays in our community to fund vital education, screening, treatment and support services,” said Wright. “The remaining 25 percent funds groundbreaking breast cancer research – which is working to find the cure.”
Komen’s network of affiliates annually funds nearly 2,000 community organizations, providing education, screening, patient navigation, and emergency financial support for those facing breast cancer. Komen has invested more than $1.3 billion in community grants since 1982 and over $2.2 billion in research and life-saving community programs. Locally, in just six years, Komen Upper Cumberland has put over $644,000 back into the community through grants to recipients such as the Warren County Educational Foundation, Cookeville Regional Medical Center Foundation, the Putnam County YMCA, the American Cancer Society, and many more.