Big football news keeps coming in Warren County.
Boyd Christian School is currently exploring the option of fielding an 8-man high school football team in the future and athletic director Brent Warren has received board approval to begin searching for a head coach to lead the program.
Warren has long wanted to grow the athletic landscape at the local private school and, at long last, football has been given the green light.
“We started talking about beginning a football program three years ago. When the economic turn happened, we postponed the plans,” said Warren. “Over the last six months, we started talking about reviving those plans and started the process of putting it in motion in October.
“In early January, the board accepted our proposal and we started the hiring process. At this point we’re still pursuing the right coach. We have several interviews planned and will be announcing a coach in the near future.”
Currently, Boyd High School offers basketball and cross country for Broncos and Lady Broncos. The middle school also fields squads in those sports, along with having a baseball team. Football would be a huge boost for the Broncos, who had hoped the announcement of a football program would also come with the naming of Greg Cotten as football coach.
Cotten had been in constant talks with Boyd from early December – coinciding with his resignation from the WCHS coaching staff that was confirmed by former Pioneer head coach Tommy Johnson – until last week when he formally accepted the position Wednesday, Jan. 8. Just two days later, Cotten informed Warren through email he would be leaving the program.
It was a tough loss for the Boyd program as it felt great disappointment the person who originally approached the school about starting football would leave once the Broncos made the commitment to him.
“Of course we are disappointed in how things developed. We thought we had a coach wanting to help build the program,” said Warren. “We went above and beyond to do whatever this coach wanted. After he committed to us, he was then persuaded to reconsider from sources within Warren County to not accept the position. We are moving on and are seeking the right person to make this program successful.”
Cotten was remorseful for his decision – one he admits was wrong.
“I have nothing negative to say about the Boyd Christian family and I wish them the best,” said Cotten. “I understand accepting the position, then backing out was wrong. I accept responsibility and the negative feelings that come with it.”
Cotten confirmed he backed out of the Boyd job to accept a position on new WCHS football coach Scott Smith’s staff.
“Having a position with coach Smith did change my mind. I understand the timing and how I handled the situation wasn't professional and for that I am sorry,” said Cotten. “The main reason for staying is to continue working with the young men I have been with the past six years. We've had a lot of success at the middle school and junior varsity levels and I wanted to stay and continue on that success rather than potentially taking from that success to start somewhere new.”
With Cotten out of the picture, Boyd has moved on to new candidates. Warren wants a person who will commit to the program and stay committed for the long haul.
“We are seeking someone who wants to put their stamp on Boyd Christian football in the beginning phase – someone who wants to help build a program from 8-man to 11-man football over the coming years,” said Warren. “We want someone with high character who means what they say and says what they mean. We thought we had the right person to help us move forward, but it’s better now to find out he wasn't as committed as we were led to believe than to find out months down the road.
“We believe over the coming days we will find the right person to lead us. We teach our kids every day to keep moving forward no matter what obstacle is put in place. We will do as we teach.”
The Broncos would like to have at least 20 players before beginning a team, but the school hasn’t set an exact number for its squad. Boyd has been contacted by several interested players and parents about the program.
The Broncos will play in the Middle Tennessee Athletic Conference – the same league the school’s other sports programs participate in. Warren believes the growing popularity of 8-man football could be a drawing point.
“Eight-man football is growing very fast in the Middle Tennessee area. Currently there are 12 teams in the Midstate,” said Warren. “Each year they are adding new teams. Eight-man football is huge in several surrounding state and is growing each year in the United States.”
Boyd looks to start 8-man football team

