COVINGTON, Tenn. (AP) — A mobile home fire that killed a 2-year-old boy and 4-year-old girl in Tipton County earlier this week has been ruled accidental.
Atoka Fire Department Chief Henry A. Posey told news outlets in an email Thursday that a space heater could have been the cause of the fire in the Drummonds community.
When the fire broke out Wednesday morning, Poser says the children's mother was next door dealing with a family emergency while the children were asleep in the home. Family members tried to save Christopher Sutton and Katie Sutton, but they were unable to because of the flames and smoke.
The mother and children's grandfather were taken to a hospital and later released.