By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Relay for Life ready to resume fight against cancer after one-year hiatus
Relay - quilt.jpg
A quilt made from T-shirts of all the Relay for Life events held in Warren County is one of the special auction items that will be up for grabs Saturday, June 5.
Relay - Moonshine Mountain Cookies.jpg
Moonshine Mountain Cookies from Warren County native Rick Dunlap are available as a Relay for Life fundraiser for $25.

There will be homemade ice cream and live entertainment as Relay for Life awakens from its one-year slumber to return to downtown McMinnville on Saturday, June 5.

“Raising money to fight cancer is too important not to have an event again this year,” said organizer Carla Savage.

She noted Relay for Life raised $26,000 last year without an event and is looking to get fundraising efforts back in overdrive. Activities are scheduled to start on Court Square at 5:30 p.m. June 5 with a variety of delicious food vendors.

Savage said there will be homemade ice cream, homemade desserts, hamburgers, BBQ, fried bologna and more.

A quilt sure to draw attention at the auction is one that’s been made from all the Relay for Life T-shirts. Other auction items are pouring in, and Savage expects to have many nice things up for grabs to the highest bidder.

Main Street will not be closed and there will not be a Survivor Walk. Relay for Life will be smaller, but the show will go on.

“It’s really sad not to do the Survivor Walk,” said Savage. “Hopefully next year. We feel very fortunate to be able to get this in. The American Cancer Society didn’t want to do any events until August so we’re happy to get this approved for June. It took special permission. It won’t be as big but there will be good food and it will be nice to get out and socialize.”

Relay for Life T-shirts have arrived and are currently on sale at the downtown location of Citizens Tri-County Bank. T-shirts cost $12 and $14.

According to the American Cancer Society, 73% of funds raised by Relay for Life go to cancer “research, prevention, detection, education, and patient support.” The other 27% “fuel supporting services” that manage those programs.

Savage knows cancer well. Her father died of the disease, her mother survived it, and Savage herself is a cancer survivor who benefitted from a drug made possible by research. “I know what research drugs can do for you,” she says. 

For more information about Relay for Life, contact Savage at (931) 409-0695, or can contact any of the following Relay for Life committee members: Keri Morton, 474-1800; Cindy Rogers, 507-1422; Janice Stubblefield, 507-4118; Leanne Fisher, 473-3116; Karen Wilson, 668-4131; Jane Flatt, Mary Ann Blankenship, Marlene Delong.