By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Irving College School fire
Iving College Fire1.jpg
Irving College School had a fire scare Monday around 10:30 a.m. According to Collins River Fire Department assistant chief Donald Hillis, the cause of the fire was a short in a bathroom vent fan. - photo by Lacy Garrison

Irving College School had a fire scare Monday around 10:30 a.m. According to Collins River Fire Department assistant chief Donald Hillis, the cause of the fire was a short in a bathroom vent fan. SRO Mike Vann was able to put it out with a fire extinguisher while firefighters used thermal imaging to check for hot spots. “A few ceiling tiles, vent fan and cabinet below the vent suffered damage, but it was minor,” said Hillis. “We had some guys working beside the school so it only took a minute for them to get there.” Pictured is principal Rachael Graves standing outside the school making calls while Collins River Fire Department and law enforcement secure the scene.