By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
The Latest: Canada van suspect was briefly in armed forces
Placeholder Image
TORONTO (AP) — The Latest on the incident in which a van plowed down a Toronto sidewalk, killing and injuring several people (all times local):1:20 p.m. A government spokeswoman says the man accused in a van attack that left 10 people dead in Toronto was briefly a member of the Canadian Armed Forces last year. National Defense spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande says Alek Minassian was a member of the forces from Aug. 23 until Oct. 25, 2017.She says: "He did not complete his recruit training and requested to be voluntarily released from the CAF after 16 days of recruit training." The 25-year-old man from Richmond Hill, Ontario, was charged on Tuesday with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.

Log In To Read

Subscribe to access more great content!