By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Just a thought - Putting myself under quarantine
Placeholder Image

I don’t get under the weather very often. When I do, it’s on like Donkey Kong and I’m a royally sick princess.

Before you ask, I have no idea what I had. I did not seek the advice of a doctor, despite the repeated requests of my boyfriend to go. Instead, I sought the recluse of my bedroom – locking myself in like a hermit and texting out requests for more water, chicken noodle soup, Kleenex, etc. to be placed outside my bedroom door.

My symptoms: cold chills, fever, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, headache, cough, and extreme congestion. I did not have any muscle cramps or aching.

I knew I was having sinus issues on Thursday, Jan. 25. I contributed them to allergies, which is the usual culprit. By Friday evening at work, the chills kicked in and I knew it was a little something more than sinus issues. It was time to go.

I sadly canceled my plans for that night, went to the store for provisions, and went home. I alerted my children to the fact I was on my way home and I was sick. They’re adults and they understand that mom is quarantining herself in the bedroom.

My goal: stay as hydrated as possible. Toward that endeavor, I started drinking glasses of warm water on a regular basis. I was at home from Friday evening until Wednesday morning. I drank about six gallons of water. I sipped on it all the time. If I fell asleep, I drank a glass as soon as I woke up.

I’m not a fan of taking medication. However, I used saline mist and inhaled enough vaporub to kill someone. If you can overdose on either, I probably would have. I used about five boxes of Kleenexes that contain 130 per box. By those calculations, I blew my nose 650 times. Impressive, I know. Bask in the magnificence that was me. I can feel the jealousy. I’m thankful it was the lotion kind.

The worst came Sunday. When I would lie flat, I had a difficult time breathing through my nose. By that night, I knew I had to sleep sitting up. I attempted to sleep in my moon chair. It wasn’t all that bad. I’ve fallen asleep in that chair before. Never as a necessity though.

Sunday was an awesome weather day. I sat on the front porch in order to get some fresh air. I probably looked foolish to everyone who passed. I thought, “Mind your business. Nothing to see here. Woman with a blanket.”

Monday was much better. The fever and chills were gone. I started sanitizing my bedroom. It felt good to sleep in a clean, fresh bed on Monday night.

I stayed home one more day to make sure I was no longer contagious. I returned to work on Wednesday.

I pampered myself as much as possible and watched enough daytime TV to drive me crazy. Being a princess isn’t easy.

Standard reporter Lisa Hobbs can be reached at 473-2191.